Who doesn’t want to be successful?
We somehow all want to have success in our life.
But what does success even mean?
For some, it’s financial wealth while for others it’s being free or it means living their dreams.
What I define as success, you might not and vice versa.
According to the Cambridge Dictionary success is defined as:
“The achieving of the results wanted or hoped for”
What do you want to achieve in life?
Which results are you hoping to achieve?
How do you define success?
This post is all about what success is and how to be successful in life.
In addition, I share with you 49 motivational success quotes.
From people who are perceived in society as successful.
They talk about
- What success is
- How to be successful
- What a success mindset is
I sprinkled my own ideas in between along the success quotes.
Be inspired and feel free to pin the quotes you love and share what success means to you in the comments below.
TABLE OF CONTENT
- What is success
- How to be successful
- 9 steps to be successful
- Success Quotes
WHAT IS SUCCESS
According to Stanford professor and behavioral economist, Charles Lee we all define success depending on our personal worldview and tie success to reaching certain goals in our life.
1. SUCCESS = REACHING PERSONAL GOALS
We all have an imagination about success which in most cases is tied to popularity and money.
Some of us also might think that success equals happiness.
2. SUCCESS ≠ HAPPINESS
You might think that once you achieve a certain goal you’ll be happier.
However, the definition of success doesn’t equal the definition of happiness.
According to the Oxford dictionary success means:
“The accomplishment of an aim or purpose”
while happiness is defined as:
“The state of being happy” contentment, joy
While success is tied to a goal, happiness is defined by contentment and joy.
Therefore even though you achieve a certain goal, for example, make more money you’ll be successful by achieving that goal but it’s not guaranteed that you’ll automatically feel contentment and joy after you achieved that goal.
3. ACTION + FAILURE = SUCCESS
When we look at successful people we notice one common characteristic.
Successful people failed often before they achieved their goals.
It seems that being successful and failure go hand in hand together.
Let’s take Thomas Edison, the inventor of the electric light bulb for example.
He failed numerous times before his invention was successful.
Once he was asked how many times he failed he responded with the famous quote:
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”
He saw failing as something positive.
Each failure was just a step towards the solution he was seeking for.
HOW TO BE SUCCESSFUL
An article published in the Harvard Business Review explains that success isn’t dependent on who we are, but on what we do.
There isn’t such a thing as the success gene.
We all can be successful in life by rewiring our brains towards success.
Our actions bring us our success in life.
These actions are fueled by our thoughts.
Successful people reach their goals by having a success mindset and taking the right action steps.
9 STEPS TO BE SUCCESSFUL
Know exactly what you want in life.
2. SET GOALS
Be realistic about your goals. Set smart goals!
3. TAKE ACTION
Take action every day towards your goal.
4. SMALL STEPS
Do everything in small steps.
Don’t try to accomplish everything at once.
Go every day step by step towards your goal.
Monitor your progress regularly and adjust if necessary.
Believe in yourself and in the fact that you can change your mind.
Your skill set and mindset aren’t fixed.
You can acquire all the skills you need to accomplish your goals.
Commit to your long-term goals and follow through with your plan.
Be disciplined and stay consistent in pursuing your goals.
Exercise your willpower. Give up bad habits step by step and replace them with habits which will bring you closer to your goal.
If you want to learn more about how to be successful in life, check out the book, The Principle Of Success by Jack Canfield.
In this book, he shares 67 principles to create a successful life.
WHAT IS SUCCESS – QUOTES
1. “Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm”. – WINSTON S. CHURCHILL
2. “Eighty percent of success is showing up”. – WOODY ALLEN
3. “Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get”. – DALE CARNEGIE
4. “Success means we go to sleep at night knowing that our talents and abilities were used in a way that served others”. – MARIANNE WILLIAMSON
5. “Success is… knowing your purpose in life, growing to reach your maximum potential, and sowing seeds that benefit others”. – JOHN C. MAXWELL
6. “Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines, practiced every day”. – JIM ROHN
7. “Action is the foundational key to all success”. – PABLO PICASSO
8. “Success is the doing, not the getting; the trying, not the triumph. Success is a personal standard, reaching for the highest that is in us, becoming all that we can be. If we do our best, we are a success”. – ZIG ZIGLAR
9. “There are many aspects to success, material wealth is only one component. But success also includes good health, energy, and enthusiasm for life, fulfilling relationships, creative freedom, emotional and psychological stability, a sense of well-being, and peace of mind”. – DEEPAK CHOPRA
10. “Don’t let a mad world tell you that success is anything other than a successful present moment”. – ECKHART TOLLE
HOW TO BE SUCCESSFUL – QUOTES
11. “Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success”. – DALE CARNEGIE
12. “Winners are not afraid of losing. But losers are. Failure is part of the process of success. People who avoid failure also avoid success”. – ROBERT T. KIYOSAKI
13. “The path to success is to take massive, determined action”. – ANTHONY ROBBINS
14. “Success is most often achieved by those who don’t know that failure is inevitable”. – COCO CHANEL
15. “The difference between successful people and really successful people is that really successful people say no to almost everything”. – WARREN BUFFET
16. “The only guarantee for failure is to stop trying”. – JOHN C. MAXWELL
17. “Successful people have libraries. The rest have big tv’s”. – JIM ROHN
18. “The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus”. – BRUCE LEE
19. “If you start today to do the right thing, you are already a success even if it doesn’t show yet”. – JOHN C. MAXWELL
20. “Success is not the key to happiness, happiness is the key to success”. – BUDDHA
21. “A person’s success in life can usually be measured by the number of uncomfortable conversations he or she is willing to have”. – TIMOTHY FERRISS
22. “The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing”. – WALT DISNEY
23. “The ability to discipline yourself to delay gratification in the short term in order to enjoy greater rewards in the long term is the indispensable prerequisite for success”.- BRIAN TRACY
24. “Patience is a key element of success”. – BILL GATES
25. “There is no abiding success without commitment”.- ANTHONY ROBBINS
26. “Outstanding people have one thing in common – an absolute sense of mission”.- ZIG ZIGLAR
27. “I never dreamed about success, I worked for it”. – ESTEE LAUDER
28. “The secret of getting ahead is getting started”.- MARK TWAIN
29. “The starting point of all achievement is desire”.- NAPOLEON HILL
30. “Vision without execution is just hallucination”.- HENRY FORD
31. “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go as long as you don’t stop”.- CONFUCIUS
32. “Careful patience is the fastest way”. – AJAHN BRAHM
SUCCESS MINDSET – QUOTES
33. “It’s fine to celebrate success but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure”. – BILL GATES
34. “Have no fear of perfection – you’ll never reach it”.- SALVADOR DALI
35. “If you aim at nothing, you’ll hit it every time”. – ZIG ZIGLAR
36. “Positive thinking will let you do everything better than negative thinking will”. – ZIG ZIGLAR
37. “If they say it’s impossible it’s impossible for them not for you”.
38. “If you want to go big – stop thinking small”.
39. “Never look back unless you’re planning to go that way”. – HENRY DAVID THOREAU
40. “The road to success is always under construction”.- ARNOLD PALMER
41. “When you focus on the good the good gets better”. – ABRAHAM HICKS
42. “Your only limit is your mind”. – LILLA LIPTAK
43. “Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment”.- OPRAH WINFREY
44. “There is nothing you cannot be, do or have”.- ABRAHAM HICKS
45. “Success doesn’t just come and finds you. You have to go out and get it”.
46. “Don’t wait for the opportunity. Create it”.
47. “Focus on your goal, not the obstacles”.
48. “Don’t tell yourself if. Ask yourself how”. – LILLA LIPTAK
49. “You can either make your habits or your habits can make you”. – BROOKE CASTILLO
Download the free Go For Your Dreams Guide and learn about the steps you have to take to achieve your goals.
Use the templates from the printable Go For Your Dreams Planner and turn your dream into an actionable plan.