Do you have a plan?
Not a plan what you’ll have for dinner or a plan for your next vacation, but a plan for who you are and who you want to become in your life.
While I believe that it’s a great thing to love ourselves just the way we are according to the “I’m enough” principle I also know that we humans want to learn and grow.
So why not grow into the next best version of ourselves intentionally?
We pick up and adopt subconsciously so many things (not always healthy or helpful things) from our environment.
Why not take the time and reflect on our lives and develop a personal growth plan for ourselves?
About things we want to change (for example quitting unhealthy habits) or adopting new ideas into or our own lives.
In this post I share with you my simple: what, why, who, how, when model which will help you create a personal development plan for yourself.
TABLE OF CONTENT
- What do you want
- Why do you want it
- Who has already what you want
- How can you get what you want
- When are you taking action
WHAT DO YOU WANT
The first step for a personal development plan is to define what you want in your life.
Sit down and try to ask and answer yourself as many questions as possible about your future self.
- Where do you want to go?
- How do you want to live your life?
- Who do you want to become?
- How do you want to be perceived and remembered by others?
- What’s the legacy you want to leave behind later on in your life?
- What are the characteristics you want to have?
- What are the skills you want to learn?
- Which “bad” habits do you want to drop?
- Which new habits do you want to adopt?
- How is the person you want to be?
WHY YOU WANT IT
As the next step try to figure out why you want all those things?
Why do you want to adopt certain skills or characteristics?
- Do you want to impress someone with it?
- Is it for approval by others?
- Is it to please others?
- Is it to satisfy your ego?
- Are you truly passionate about it?
- What’s the reason and your why behind your goal?
Knowing your why behind your vision is the fuel you can use to take action no matter how rough the road gets on the journey towards your goal.
WHO HAS ALREADY WHAT YOU WANT
Maybe you want to eat healthier or exercise more or learn how to start a business.
Who has already what you want for yourself in the future?
Who are the people you can learn from in the areas you want to learn more about and grow?
As a reference point, you can classify your goals into certain categories.
I like to use for this purpose the following 8 categories:
- Physical Environment
- Personal Growth
Let’s say you start with category health and have the goal to learn more about the plant-based diet.
As the next step, you’d ask yourself who do I know who I can learn from in this area?
Or in the category career, you have the goal to build an online business and want to learn how to start a business online.
Now you’d check who you know who you could learn from. Hint → You can learn in my free training here how to start a business online.
HOW CAN YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT
Once you know what you want, why you want it, and from whom you can learn it you’d ask yourself “how can I get what I want?”
The answer, therefore, is that you need a plan in which you strategically lay down how you can get from A where you are right now to Z your goal.
I’d suggest to start with the end goal in mind and to reverse engineer your goal.
For example, if your goal is to have a thriving online business 5 years from now my approach would starting with the end in mind and working backward up to today.
You can ask yourself questions like:
- Which milestones do I have to reach 4, 3, 2, and 1 years from now to get to the result I want 5 years from now?
- What are the goals I need to accomplish 2 years from now and the goals I need to meet this year to set the foundation for a thriving online business?
- Which are the steps I can take right now to come closer to my goal?
If it still might seem too difficult I recommend getting the printable Go For Your Dreams Planner to turn your dream into an actionable plan.
WHEN ARE YOU TAKING ACTION
After having your big plan in place it’s time to break it into smaller tasks.
Schedule these tasks ahead of time in your daily planner.
So you’ll exactly know each day what you have to do to achieve your long term goal.
Download the free Go For Your Dreams Guide and learn about the steps you have to take to achieve your goals.
Use the templates from the printable Go For Your Dreams Planner and turn your dream into an actionable plan.